This Week in Worship
Sunday, August 7, 2016 @ 10:30 am in the Parish Hall
“We Are Lonely”
Erica Long, a recent graduate of Harvard Divinity School and ordination-track UU describes her service this way: “Loneliness has a way of creeping into our lives no matter where we are or how many people we have around us. Together, let’s explore loneliness, acknowledging that it is an active agent in our spiritual lives.”
No nursery services are provided during the summer but you are welcome to bring your child(ren). We have art materials and books available to keep them occupied.
Message from Rev. Lisa
Hello dear folk of First Parish:
I arrived August 1st with the entrance to my office lovingly prepped with festive decorations, home-made breakfast goodies, flowers and simple words of welcome. This bodes well for our faith journey together, incorporating the important ingredients of hospitality, beauty, nourishment, whimsy and intention. We have the added treasures of Kiki Giatis, our Director of Congregational Life and Administration and Kevin Harnden, our sexton, who have been generously helping me find my way around the office.
“We are part of the great circle of humanity,” writes the Rev. Joy Atkinson, “gathered around the fire, the hearth, the altar.” And so our gatherings begin in this next chapter of the congregational life of First Parish and our shared deepening of UU faith. For the month of August, I will be doing a lot of unpacking, both literally and figuratively, through the emptying of boxes and the listening of narratives. This is a time for me to explore and listen, for it is in the context of our lives that we will find our way.
Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org ,with any questions or comments. If you’d like to drop by the office, I’ll be here most Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10 am – 3 pm. It would be best to call first, for I will be venturing around the neighborhood as well.
It is clear to me that there is much we can do together, learn from one another and praise in the living of our days.
Summer Services Schedule
Through September 4, 2016 – Parish Hall, 10:30 am
- August 14 – Matt Weinstein ~ “The Game” An ordination-track, second-year MDiv student at Harvard Divinity School, Matt will explain how a simple child’s game could help you live the life you want to live.
- August 21 – Mallory and Diana Digges ~ Israel, Palestine and the spiritual aspects of UU activism
- August 28 – Leslie MacPherson Artinian ~ “A Very Good Friday” – Leslie is the Chair of the Worship Committee at First Parish. Her service will investigate the issue of topic of “holy days” and weeks. She asks: Our roots are Christian, so what does that mean for UUs?
- September 4 (Labor Day weekend) – Rev. Patty Hatch ~ “Gathering Coconuts” Rev. Patricia Hatch is the Minister of Christian Education at First Parish of Westwood, UCC. In her service, she will answer the question: How is practicing mindfulness similar to gathering coconuts? Rev. Patricia will invite you to reflect on mindfulness and to experience mindful practices during the worship service.
News and Announcements
Detailed descriptions have been posted on our website. Please share with your friends and professional contacts. Cover letter and resume should be emailed to the following addresses:
- Director of Religious Education: email@example.com
- Administrative Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org
The new stoves have been installed! – They are functional and look great.
Boston Area Gleaners needs volunteers!
Want to help feed the hungry? Want to help reduce food waste? Join the growing group of volunteers at Boston Area Gleaners (BAG) to harvest locally grown crops that would otherwise be plowed under. BAG has been distributing this high quality, local produce to food pantries and hunger relief programs in eastern Massachusetts since 2004. Most volunteer opportunities are on farms within a 1-hour drive of Boston and BAG coordinates carpools to the farms. You can volunteer once, weekly, or as often as you like. Gleaning trips are scheduled during the week and on the weekends throughout the growing season. For more information and to sign up to volunteer or donate, please visit www.bostonareagleaners.org. To the harvest!
Please check out the updated Member’s Page. We have reorganized the page. We expect to do more content updates over the next several weeks. If you or your committee wants to update content, we would be grateful.
New Categories for Member’s Page:
- Congregational Leadership (Committee Information and Resources)
- Congregational Meetings (Warrant and Annual Report Information)
- Community Resources (Directory, Master Calendar)
- Donations (Online pledge and payment links)
- Forms (Membership Application, CORI form, etc.)
- Religious Exploration (Online Registration)
Office Hours: 10:30 – 2:00 Monday – Thursday
No staff on-site Sundays
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
Worship, 10:30am in the Meetinghouse
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
THE SUNDAY PLANNER
Please consider volunteering for important Sunday worship positions like ushering, hosting social hour, providing flowers for worship, and lighting the chalice. Sign Up Here!