This Week in Worship
Sunday, July 10 @ 10:30 am in the Parish Hall
“Social Justice and the UU Sabbath”
Worship Leader: Jennie Mulqueen. Jennie is an MDiv student at B.U. and her service will be Part I of the series “Social Justice, Death, and Sex: UU Sermon Series on Sabbath Theology and Practice”
No children’s programming and no nursery care June 26 – September 4.
Summer Services Schedule
Parish Hall @ 10:30 am
No nursery services are provided during the summer but you are welcome to bring your child(ren).
- July 17 – Dave Egan ~ “Our Beloved Community” – Dave is an MDiv student at Andover-Newton and his service will be looking at how we create the beloved community within our congregations… while at the same time reaching out of our comfort zones to help those in need.
- July 24 – Elise Henricks ~ “Walking a Labyrinth” – Elise will lead a discussion and a walk around First Parish’s portable labyrinth.
- July 31 – Rev. Hank Peirce ~ “Endings”. This will be Rev. Hank’s final service as interim minister at First Parish.
- August 7 – Erica Long ~ “We Are Lonely” Erica, a recent graduate of Harvard Divinity School and ordination- track UU describes her service this way: “Loneliness has a way of creeping into our lives no matter where we are or how many people we have around us. Together, let’s explore loneliness, acknowledging that it is an active agent in our spiritual lives.”
- August 14 – Matt Weinstein ~ “The Game” An ordination-track, second-year MDiv student at Harvard Divinity School, Matt will explain how a simple child’s game could help you live the life you want to live.
- August 21 – Mallory and Diana Digges ~ Israel, Palestine and the spiritual aspects of UU activism
- August 28 – Leslie MacPherson Artinian ~ “A Very Good Friday” – Leslie is the Chair of the Worship Committee at First Parish. Her service will investigate the issue of topic of “holy days” and weeks. She asks: Our roots are Christian, so what does that mean for UUs?
- September 4 (Labor Day weekend) – Rev. Patty Hatch ~ “Gathering Coconuts” Rev. Patricia Hatch is the Minister of Christian Education at First Parish of Westwood, UCC. In her service, she will answer the question: How is practicing mindfulness similar to gathering coconuts? Rev. Patricia will invite you to reflect on mindfulness and to experience mindful practices during the worship service.
News and Announcements
Lend a helping hand to Rev. Lisa Friday July 8th morning
What are you ane doing tomorrow morning? Are you strong and energetic? Can you help us move some of Rev. Lisa’s boxes into the church and her new home? We know it is short notice but if you can help, please contact Jim May at email@example.com or come to First Parish between 9:30 and 10:00 a.m. Friday (tomorrow).
Rev. Hank is on vacation from July 8 – 24. If there is a pastoral care emergency, please contact Kiki Giatis at 617.216.2218.
Georgia on Her Mind
Miriam Saavedra is leaving us as of July 14, 2016. Miriam has been our administrative assistant since the spring of 2013. She also served as Religious Educator during her time at First Parish. She joined the congregation as a member in 2014. Miriam has brought a wonderful presence to the office and the congregation with her many gifts and talents. She will be missed.
Miriam and her children, Marcela and John (Ziggy), will be moving to Georgia to join her fiancé, Jon Hollon. Jon already has relocated as a result of a wonderful job opportunity. We send them our blessings and our love.
Our new fiscal year began July 1. If you currently have payments made electronically through VANCO or your bank or credit card, please remember to check that your payments will continue and also make appropriate changes your payment amounts.
What do you imagine the children will be doing this fall?
As we go into a different kind of summer mode, we do so with great anticipation of a new chapter in the congregation. Rev. Lisa Ward will arrive in August. This will mark an exciting time of new conversations, ideas, and initiatives all to come together as one, as beloved community.
How the children will be part of church life begs a great question — how can you be involved? A vibrant congregation has a vibrant religious education life. And an excellent religious education program is made possible only when there is a natural web of relationships between the youngest and the oldest. It’s what makes church family — for caring and trusting adults to serve an important mentoring role in a young person’s life. It can be fine when the adult is the child’s own parent. It is to-the-moon-and-back incredible when adults step up to their their wisdom, curiosity and passion with children who are not their own.
So…..(click here for some mood music) and take just a couple minutes to answers 4 (four) questions about next year’s Religious Exploration program.
July 1 begins our new fiscal year. If you currently have payments made electronically through VANCO or your bank or credit card, please remember to check that your payments will continue and also make appropriate changes your payment amounts.
From Outside the Walls
Curious about what happened at UU General Assembly in Columbus, Ohio. Use this link to connect to UU World coverage online.
Share Our Space Summer Showcase
A Summer Series Celebrating Music, Art, and Culture in Roxbury
This is a series of music events during July and August. For detailed information follow this link:
Rev. Hank, Kevin Harnden, and Diane Ferrari (Milton Residents Fund Coordinator) are all on vacation next week. Mriam will be in the office on Tuesday – Thursday. Thursday is Miriam’s last day at First Parish Milton. Kiki will be in the office Monday – Thursday.
The Link will continue to be sent out weekly via email.
Written announcements for the Sunday service
are discontinued until September 11.
Office Hours: 10:30 – 2:00 Monday – Thursday
Office Closed: July 4, July 18, July 20
No staff on-site Sundays
If you are planning to visit a staff member, please call ahead to make sure the person you want to see is available.
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
Worship, 10:30am in the Meetinghouse
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
THE SUNDAY PLANNER
Please consider volunteering for important Sunday worship positions like ushering, hosting social hour, providing flowers for worship, and lighting the chalice. Sign Up Here!