This Week in Worship
Sunday, June 8, 2014
A Faith to Celebrate!
Rev. Parisa Parsa
Music by Emma Jean Moulton and the Meetinghouse Choir
Each person should bring a flower to worship this Sunday (all ages!)
It is the day for two important annual rituals at First Parish: our Flower Celebration, in honor of those who have spoken and acted for the freedom to worship and gathering across religious, ethnic and personal difference; and the Passages Ceremony, in which our second graders share what they have learned in their semester-long exploration of the Seven Principles of Unitarian Universalism.
We will celebrate and honor Emma Jean Moulton for her 28 years of service to First Parish at the picnic immediately following the service. Please be there!!
A Handy Guide to How YOU can Help with the many transitions that are happening at First Parish this season.
1. Sign up to teach a Religious Exploration unit in the fall or spring of next year. You can lead a single workshop, sign up for an ongoing class, be a mentor to a youth in Coming of Age, chaperone a youth sleepover… the sky is the limit! We especially need folks who do not currently have kids at home to sign up. There will be sign ups at the picnic on Sunday and a link will follow for online signups.
2. Register your child(ren) for Religious Exploration classes for the coming year. It helps us greatly in planning the number of adults needed as well as which space we’ll use if you sign up early. Look for the RE table at the picnic on Sunday and get those kids signed up for another year of spiritual exploration, fun and fellowship!
3. Be sure you have submitted your financial commitment for the coming fiscal year – which begins July 1. No gift is too big! Or too small!
4. Communicate with the church office early and often about your committee or group’s plans and needs for the coming year, especially important dates that should go on the church calendar – events you want to schedule, meeting dates and times, and big plans you might need office support to carry out. Miriam Febres will be gathering this information. Contact her here.
5. Attend worship and stay connected with your First Parish community over the summer! Sign up to get involved in new projects and initiatives in the fall, and keep up the work of making this community strong and vibrant.
Sunday, June 8, 2014
RE classes are finished for this church year. We ask all parents to please register your children for the 2014-2015 year.
Registration table will be set up during the picnic this coming Sunday and on-line registration will be open with in the next few weeks.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
*Nursery is available for children ages 4 and younger.*
Do you enjoy spending time with kids?
Are you interested in exploring your own faith in a new context?
Do you want to engage with young people at First Parish as they ask big questions, think deeply, and grow spiritually?
Please consider leading a Religious Exploration class next year.
You don’t have to be a parent, and you don’t have to have taught before – everyone has something to offer to our young people! We provide all curriculum materials, training and support for teacher. Leaders are needed for all age groups, in a variety of formats with different time commitments. We’ll do our best to find the place where program needs meet your gifts and passion. Please contact the office today!
REMINDER: We all love being outside in this wonderful spring weather. It’s great we have space for the children to play. If your child is outside, you need to be outside too to make sure everyone stays safe. Climbing trees and tipping over benches are safety hazards.
News and Announcements
End of the formal church year is fast approaching.
Here are a few things coming up:
- June 8th End of the formal church year, multigenerational worship, Passages graduation, flower celebration and church picnic!
- Parisa will be preaching June 15 & 22 in the Meetinghoue
- June 25-29 UUA General Assembly Providence, RI
- June 29 Summer services begin in the Parish Hall
Summer Solstice in the Parish Hall
Saturday, June 14th at 7:00pm
The heat makes the earth shimmer under our feet, and the rain steams as it hits the ground. The hot breath of the sun fills our lungs; and the fertile smells of blossom, decay and growth are the bouquet of life.
All are welcome to join the FP Great Blue Hill CUUPS* (formerly known as the Earth-Centered Spirituality Group) as we celebrate the Summer Solstice in the Parish Hall on Saturday, June 14th at 7:00pm (Yes it’s a week early).We share a pot-luck feast after ritual. Questions? Contact Mark Whall 617 282 4075.
*Covenant of Unitarian Univeralist Pagans, the national UU organization, to which our ECSG has submitted an application for a FP chapter
Photographers wanted. Social media is all about photographs and graphics. We are looking to update our website this summer. Of course, the first question asked is do you have more photographs or other images. Let Miriam or I know if you would be part of a group that would be willing to take pictures at the upcoming church picnic and other FP events. If you have pictures you want to share, please email Miriam.
We are having some intermittent problems with our email system. Call the office if you think you should have heard from one of us on a particular issues.
Follow First Parish on Facebook! “Like” our page www.facebook.com/FirstParishMiltonUu and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
Worship, 10:30am in the Meetinghouse
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
THE SUNDAY PLANNER
Please consider volunteering for important Sunday worship positions like ushering, hosting social hour, providing flowers for worship, and lighting the chalice. The link to SignUp Genius is: