This Week in Worship
Sunday, May 27, 2018
Worship at 10:30 am in the Meetinghouse
Rev. Lisa Ward
We are dedicating two children this Sunday during worship. What a powerful companion to a Memorial Day worship service, honoring those who have died for the service of life and honoring life in those whom we are entrusted to nurture. This is the stuff of faith communities: lifting up the passages and turning points and sacred encounters in our lives. This is the work of faith communities: sharing our stories, our journeys, our hopes and our longings together. This is the balm of faith communities: to witness to and for each other, to create a narrative of blessing that upholds our lives. It is good to be together.
In Faith, Rev. Lisa
Laurel Whitehouse, Director of Religious Exploration
- Nursery and toddler care is available every week in the Link hallway from 10:15 to 11:45 am. This week our caregivers will be Toya and Bella. Stop by and say hello!
- Religious Exploration for Sunday, May 27: Preschool children through grade 8 will attend the first part of the worship service in the Meetinghouse and then move to the Activity room downstairs for a group program. If the weather permits we will spend most of our time outside, helping to care for our campus gardens and playing community building games. Please note that our activities end at 11:40 am.
- Register your child or youth for Fall 2018! The Religious Education Committee requests all families to register their children and youth for our upcoming worship year. Accurate registration information really helps us plan class sizes and locations. Paper registration forms are available during social hour or on the RE bulletin board in the Link hallway
Youth Chat and CAT (Community Activity Time) do not meet this week or next. Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend, and congratulations to our graduating seniors on June 3!
All youth are invited to attend the multigenerational Flower Communion Service on June 10, followed by the end of year congregational picnic.
Events, News and Announcements
SAVE THE DATE!!
First Parish Milton Yard Sale
Saturday, June 23, 9 am – 1pm
Start cleaning out your attic, garage, and closets – you can declutter and help raise funds for First Parish at the same time!
We’re looking for volunteers (lots of volunteers!).
Can you help? We need people to:
- Donate gently used furniture, sporting equipment, toys, clothes, household goods, books, lawn and garden items, and more…
- Serve on the organizing committee (next meeting: June 3, after church in the library, 11:45am)
- Staff the donation drop-off hours (June 10, June 16, June 21, June 22)
- Staff the tables and help with set-up on June 23rd
If you can commit 2 hours or 20, we’d appreciate your help!
Contact Jen Pinkus if you would like to be involved
The event is open to public – rain or shine – spread the word!
Image result for parenting as a spiritual practice
OPPORTUNITIES TO GATHER AS PARENTS
Below are two offerings in response to feedback from congregants. The hope is that these will be regularly scheduled meetings…Monthly? Quarterly? It’ll be up to the groups.
Parenting As A Spiritual Practice: Parenting Teens
Friday, June 1: 6 – 8:30 pm, Pizza and salad provided
Facilitator: Rev. Lisa Ward
This year parents of Coming of Age youth came together monthly to discuss issues of parenting. The wisdom shared was valuable and enlightening. At this gathering we will determine together what issues we can explore with one another. If there is enough interest, we will schedule monthly gatherings to set aside time to help each other find our way.
Please contact the office
Parenting As A Spiritual Practice: Parenting Ages 5 and Younger
Saturday, June 23rd 10:30- 12:00
Facilitator: Rev. Lisa Ward
One resident theologian and parent of young children longed out loud for clarity around finding spirituality in the chaos of parenting. This is both possible and accessible in our everyday lives. At this gathering we will determine together what issues we can explore with one another. If there is enough interest, we will schedule monthly gatherings to set aside time to help each other find our way. Child care is available upon request.
Please contact the office , please include the ages of the children who will attend.
The Church Office will be closed on May 28, 2018 in observance of Memorial Day.
Join our summer book discussion: WAKING UP WHITE by Debby Irving
An initiative of the First Parish Social Action Committee
in collaboration with Courageous Conversations Toward Racial Justice
Debby Irving grew up in Winchester, Massachusetts, a predominantly white, upper middle class community. In this book, she shares her journey toward recognition of white privilege. This is an accessible book that invites deeper knowledge of our culture and our way through toward clarity, which is a necessary step toward transformation of our society at large.
We will meet every other Tuesday, starting June 12th, from 7- 8 pm in the library. The reading assignments will offer an easy pace through the summer. We will create opportunities for zoom conferencing for an option to call in for the discussion.
Please contact the office if you are interested, or speak with Debbie Alsebai. Debbie has copies of the book that you can purchase.
Come join Tony Dutzik and Owen McGonagle on our first community bike ride. We will meet at 9 am on Saturday, June 16th at First Parish, to venture the roads together. We’ll start with a 12 mile ride, open to all levels of ability. All one needs is a bike, helmet, and great attitude. Water bottles are highly recommended. Come join us! Please contact the office if you are planning to come.
Email Address Update!
Susan DeMinico, our office manager, has a new email address.
Please update your address books!
There will be no yoga on Mondays in June.
There will be no Vespers service in June.
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
CHURCH OFFICE HOURS
Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
MINISTER OFFICE HOURS
Tuesday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
The Church office is closed on Fridays
Sundays through mid June
- Worship, 10:30 am in the Meetinghouse
- Choir Rehearsal (most Sundays) at 8:45 am
- Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 7:00 pm in the Children’s Church (Note new time)
SIGN UP GENIUS (formerly known as the Planner)
The link to SignUp Genius is:
You can sign up for one our our Sunday volunteer positions.