This Week in Worship
Sunday, May 20, 2018
Worship at 10:30 am in the Meetinghouse
Rev. Lisa Ward
This Sunday is our Annual Meeting, an opportunity to review the year, vote in church leadership and celebrate the life of the Parish. I am looking forward to this, my second annual meeting with you. We are finding our rhythm together, with changes in staff structure, deepening of understanding of stewardship, growing in programming and enlivening our social justice initiatives. As we affirm every week, it is good to be together. During worship we will be recognizing our Religious Exploration Teachers. Come celebrate and thank them. A full day for First Parish in Milton this Sunday. I hope to see you there.
Blessings, Rev. Lisa
Laurel Whitehouse, Director of Religious Exploration
- Nursery and toddler care is available every week in the Link hallway from 10:15 to 11:45 am. This week our caregivers are Daisy and Bella. Stop by and say hello!
- Religious Exploration for Sunday, May 20: Preschool children through grade 8 will attend the first part of the worship service in the Meetinghouse and then move to their classrooms. Please note that classes end at 11:40 am.
- Preschool through grade 2 will be enjoying the Spirit Play program in the Preschool classroom. This week’s story will be “Grandad’s Prayers of the Earth.” Grades 3 through 5 will be exploring the Super Heroes: Bible People curricula, meeting in the Children’s Church. This week they will be learning about Esther and Rahab, two strong women from the Bible. Esther saved the Jews from the evil Haman and Rahab saved her family during the fall of Jericho. Grades 6 through 8 will conclude their Friends and Neighbors experience with a review of the faith traditions they’ve discussed and visited over the past two years.
- Register your child or youth for Fall 2018! The Religious Education Committee requests all families to register their children and youth for our upcoming worship year. Accurate registration information really helps us plan class sizes and locations. Paper registration forms are available during social hour or on the RE bulletin board in the Link hallway.
Youth Chat will meet from 10:30 to 11:30 am to create cards for Sara Elizabeth as they share tasty treats and one another’s company. Rumor has it that there will be cinnamon buns!
CAT (Community Activity Time) does not meet this weekend.
Events, News and Announcements
Our Annual Meeting is this Sunday, May 20th. Please join us in the Parish Hall 11:45am-2:45pm.
All of the materials for the Annual Meeting can be found in the members page of our website: https://fpmilton.org/members-page.
Once logged in, click on congregational meetings to select and view the materials.
The Caring Committee meeting has been moved from 5/10/18 to 5/17/18 at 7:30 in the library.
MAKE SURE YOU FIND A SLOT TO SHARE YOUR VIEW! MEETINGS ARE FILLING UP, SO GO TO SIGNUPGENIUS AND ADD YOUR NAME. IT IS IMPORTANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
The Worship Committee is holding seven roundtable conversations with members of First Parish on this important question: Should the cross be the central focal point of our worship space? Please go to signupgenius.com to participate in one of these conversations. There will be up to 8 people in each conversation and two facilitators from the Worship Committee. We hope everyone will participate. If needed, we will add more dates for the end of May and June.
The Worship Committee has two remaining slots for lay led services during the summer: 8/19 and 8/26. Is there a special topic around which you would like to organize a service? Do you have a friend from a neighboring faith that would like to do a service on interfaith work? Doing a summer service is a lot of fun, and it’s finished by 10:30 am so you still have plenty of time for the outdoors! Contact Mallory Digges if you have questions or interest
Memorial Day 2018
The Church Office will be closed on May 28, 2018 in observance of Memorial Day.
From The Worship Committee:
At the Annual Meeting on Sunday we will launch “Choose or Be Chosen”, our sign up for Sundays during the coming church year. While many folks just wait to be assigned a date, that can cause many complications. If possible, we really hope people will CHOOSE a date for ushering, flowers and hospitality, rather than BE CHOSEN. If you have child who is interested in chalice lighting, please sign him/her up as well. Voluntary sign up is the embodiment of our spirit of volunteerism and a commitment to our shared worship experience. So check your calendars and add your name! After Sunday, the sign up sheets will be on the Worship Committee Bulletin Board in The Link. After the annual picnic, we will assign the remaining dates.
Looking Ahead to Next Year
Help Still Needed for First Parish Committees
If you’re new to First Parish or haven’t been involved for a while with the good work that our church committees do inside our walls and outside, check out this list. These committees could use your energy and expertise –
- Building & Grounds Committee
- Caring Committee
- Membership Committee
- Personnel Committee
As we prepare for the Annual Meeting on May 20, and look forward to the next church year, if you might have an interest in the work of any of these important groups, or have questions about what they do, please call Chris Pitt, Chair of the Nominating Committee (617-803-5608) this week or find him Sunday morning! He will answer your questions, or direct you to committee chairs who can, and will help you get involved. Committees provide unexpected opportunities to meet new people and expand your experience. Be a part of what makes First Parish tick.
The Nominating Committee
First Parish Yard Sale
Saturday, June 23, 9 am – 1 pm
First Parish is hosting its first-ever yard sale on Saturday, June 23. Start cleaning out your attic, garage and closets. You can declutter and help raise funds for First Parish at the same time!
We’re looking for volunteers (lots of volunteers!). First planning meeting is Thursday, May 17 at 7 pm in the meeting house.
Can you help? We need people to:
- donate furniture, sporting equipment, toys, clothes, household goods, etc. that you no longer need
- be on the organizing committee (first meeting is May 17 at 7 pm)
- staff the drop-off hours during the week of June 17th
- work the tables and move items around on June 23rd
- If you can commit 2 hours or 20, we’d appreciate your help!
Keep watching this space for more information over the coming weeks. Even if you can’t make the May 17 meeting, email Jen Pinkus to get involved
MainSpring in Brockton
The Social Action Committee is seeking volunteers to prepare and serve dinner at MainSpring in Brockton on Sunday, May 20 from 3PM-6PM. Sign up at the Social Action table during social hour or email Peter.
- There will be no yoga on Mondays in June.
- There will be no Vespers service in June.
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
CHURCH OFFICE HOURS
Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
MINISTER OFFICE HOURS
Tuesday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
The Church office is closed on Fridays
Sundays through mid June
- Worship, 10:30 am in the Meetinghouse
- Choir Rehearsal (most Sundays) at 8:45 am
- Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 7:00 pm in the Children’s Church (Note new time)
SIGN UP GENIUS (formerly known as the Planner)
The link to SignUp Genius is:
You can sign up for one our our Sunday volunteer positions.