This Week in Worship
10:30 a.m. in the Meetinghouse on Sunday, April 23, 2017
This month’s theme: God
Worship Leader: Rev. Mary Margaret Earl
Message from Rev. Lisa
In less than three weeks, I will be officially installed as the called minister of First Parish in Milton, Unitarian Universalist. This is such an honor and a pleasure to share First Parish hospitality with family, friends and colleagues. The Installation Committee is organizing a wonderful event with the skilled direction of co-chairs Miguel Rodriguez and Barry Hume. Many talents and contributions of time have gone into this occasion, which not only celebrates our covenant for shared ministry, but also heralds a new chapter in the life of First Parish. What a privilege to partake in such a historical event.
I hope to see you there. May 7th, 4:00 pm. And please feel ever welcome to share comments, questions, and ideas with me about this new chapter that we are in.
Director of Religious Education
What’s happening in religious exploration this weekend?
Nursery care will be available from 9:00 am to noon for infants and toddlers.
- On April 23, preschool children through grade 5 will attend the first part of the worship service in the Meetinghouse and then move downstairs. Please note that classes end at 11:40 am. Children will be walked over to join Social Hour in the Parish Hall at the end of class and need to be met there by a parent.
- Preschool through grade 1: Spirit Play in the Preschool classroom
- Grades 2 through 7: Special program on the Pierce Peace Rally in the Primary classroom followed by community games in the Activity Room
- Grade 8: Invited to join Youth Chat this week
- Our Whole Lives class does not meet this weekend.
- The next Our Whole Lives class will be on Sunday, April 30.
- Youth Chat will meet from 10:30 to 11:30 am and Youth Group will meet from noon to approximately 1 pm. Both groups meet in the Youth room upstairs.
Last Week! CityReach Donations Needed! Last Week!
In preparation for the Youth Group’s social justice service trip, we are collecting donations for the homeless population that CityReach serves year round.
We are collecting the following:
- NEW Socks! Need lots!
- NEW Underwear! Larger sizes preferred!
- New or Lightly Used Bags! (Backpacks, fanny packs, tote bags, etc)
Donations will be collected until noon on April 28th. There will be a sign and collection box in the Parish Hall. Please contact Sara Elizabeth Santa Cruz, the Youth Advisor, if you have any questions.
News and Announcements
INSTALLATION CEREMONY FOR REV. LISA WARD
When: Sunday, May 7th.
Time: 4:00 P.M. in the Meetinghouse
Plans are underway for the celebration which will immediately follow Rev. Lisa’s Installation Ceremony on Sunday, May 7th. The afternoon will feature a variety of tastings, some savory and some sweet, along with a selection of wines and soft drinks.
Contributions to the celebration will be greatly appreciated and can come in many forms. Please respond to our SignUpGenius webpage
If you would like to be on the planning committee, have questions, or would like to contribute but cannot access the webpage, please contact Patricia Ostrem at 617 696-4186, or Ursula Macmillan at 617 838-3828.
ROOTS AND WINGS: Unitarian Universalist History and Theologies
When: Wednesday, May 3rd, 7 – 8:30 pm, Parlor
How did Unitarian Universalism (UUism) come about? What do UU’s believe? What is a UU faith journey? Open to people interested in becoming a member of First Parish and to those who have been here for some time, we will spend an hour and a half getting a glimpse of our centuries old faith tradition and the evolution of thought to present day Unitarian Universalism. Come with questions, comments, and wonderings. Child care on request by April 30th.
Louis D. Brown Peace Institute
Mother’s Day Walk for Peace
ABOUT 2017 MOTHER’S DAY WALK FOR PEACE
The 21st Annual Mother’s Day Walk for Peace: “In Unity, There is Healing: Invest in Peace”
The Mother’s Day Walk for Peace is a celebration of our potential to create more peaceful communities. Every year families from across the state and region walk together toward peace because in unity, there’s healing! Join us on Mother’s Day to demand dignity and compassion for all families impacted by murder.
The Mother’s Day Walk is also the Peace Institute’s most important fundraising event. We’re asking you to invest in community-based solutions to a complex problem. In 2017, the goal is to raise $400,000 for their critical programs and services.
The Mother’s Day Walk for Peace started in 1996 so mothers of murdered children could receive support and love from their neighbors. Twenty-one years later, the Mother’s Day Walk continues to be a powerful way to honor our loved ones who have been murdered and embrace our partners in peacemaking.
How can you sign up?
Go to http://www.mothersdaywalk4peace.org to register as a participant and join our team, First Parish in Milton Walks for Peace.
For full information see the flyer available at our information tables around the church. Questions? Contact Elise Henricks 617-306-1608 (cell) or via email.
First Parish Friends – Summer is coming!
This year as we begin to create a schedule, we are starting by asking if YOU would like to lead a service. It could be either as an individual or as a group. Sound interesting? Intrigued? If so, either speak to a member of the Worship Committee or email Leslie, Worship Committee Chair.
THANK YOU FOR DONATING TO A GREAT CAUSE!
This photo was taken as Rev. Lisa Ward and Tim Steele, Music Director, presented a check for $1320 to Rosie’s Place womens’ shelter, raised at the April 1st Milton Community Concert featuring Pauline Wells and Robert Honeysucker.
SOCIAL ACTION COMMITTEE
Volunteers from First Parish Milton needed to make and serve meals to the clients at Father Bill’s on Sunday, April 23
Contact Peter for more information.
Next Session: April 30, 2017
Where: St. Michael’s Church in Milton MA
Social Action Meeting
The next Social Action Committee Meeting is on Sunday, May 7 at 8:30 AM in the Parlor
Last Volunteer Day
The last volunteer day of the program year is May 13! Meet at FP Milton at 10:30 am
Save the date! Sunday, June 11, 2017 after coffee hour in the Meetinghouse
How Can First Church Become a Greener Congregation? The Social Action Committee invites you to join us in exploring this very question and start planning a green initiative for next year. We will host guest speaker, Reverend Fred Small, co-chair of Religious Witness for the Earth, a national interfaith network dedicated to public witness on environmental issues, especially global climate change.
For more information contact Jennie Mulqueen.
Highlighting Some Upcoming Events
- Sunday, April 30 is Membership Sunday. Part of our worship service will celebrate Margo Fisher and Robert Johnson, our newest members.
- Wednesday, May 3 from 7 – 8:30 pm, Rev. Lisa will facilitate ROOTS AND WINGS: Unitarian Universalist History and Theologies. This is open to all – newcomers, those interested in membership at First Parish or members.
- Sunday, May 7 at 4 pm – Installation of Rev. Lisa. Please help create a wonderful reception by signing up to bring food or libations. (See above for link to SignUp Genius)
- Sunday, May 14 – Mother’s Day Walk for Peace
- Sunday, May 21 – Annual Meeting to be held at 11:45 in the Parish Hall.
- Sunday, May 28 – Union Sunday at First Congregational Church. The worship service will begin at 10 am, their weekly worship time.
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
Worship, 10:30am in the Meetinghouse
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
THE SUNDAY PLANNER
Please consider volunteering for important Sunday worship positions like ushering, hosting social hour, providing flowers for worship, and lighting the chalice. Sign Up Here!
CHURCH OFFICE HOURS
- Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 3 pm
- Other times by appointment
MINISTER OFFICE HOURS
- Tuesday – Thurday 10:00 am – 3 pm
- Other times by appointment
The Church office is closed on Fridays.