This Week in Worship
This Week in Virtual Worship
Sunday, March 22nd, 2020
“The Virtue of Courage”
Please be on the lookout for an Order of Worship which will be emailed to you on Friday, 3/20.
We will be live streaming online on Sunday. At 10:30 am we will begin a “Facebook Live” video. You do not need to have a Facebook account to watch the video (you can ignore Facebook’s request to open an account).
Just click on the link below and scroll down the page a little and at 10:30 am you will see a live video come up. https://www.facebook.com/FirstParishMiltonUu/ We will also record the livestream and post it on youtube. It will be good to worship together. Do worship remotely with us on Sunday if you can.
Rev. Lisa Ward
As we wake up to each day, news floods our being with hope and dread, fear and remembrance of what we hold dear. This is a time when we need to be clear about what information sources we can trust and how much of the news chatter we can withstand. It’s also important to pull ourselves away from the constant wondering, worrying and waiting. Find ways to breathe into the day and trust your inner resources, which includes finding help or solace in others.
First Parish is still very much in operation. Much of the work is being done remotely. Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions, comments, pastoral requests. Feel free to request my cell number at this address for us to talk or text.
We are uploading offerings on our Youtube.com channel. I have begun a videoblog, entitled “Strength In Spirit”. These are brief offerings of spiritual practices to help folk find their inner resources, their resilience, their ability for ease of being. Simply type in “Strength in Spirit” in the search bar on the YouTube.com First Parish in Milton site.
We will be live streaming worship on Sunday. Many thanks to the crew (under ten people as advised) who will be helping to make this happen both in front and behind the camera. Please take note of the instructions in the above article. It will be good to be together, virtually.
The service will start at its normal time on Sunday: 10:30 am.
As the physical distance continues, we will most likely move to a different format, one with flexibility for online interaction. Stay tuned .
The best way for us to stay in touch is through the internet and phones. We are all in this together, which includes helping each other stay in touch. Please do check your email regularly for notices. Also, please consider joining our Facebook page. We are also using zoom. Please download zoom on your computer. Here is a link to a tutorial.
I send out love and gratitude for this faith community. Stay in touch, keep the faith, and honor each other.
Blessings Be, Rev. Lisa
In response to finding social connections during physical distancing, we are forming small groups to maintain social connections. Each group will have a facilitator to help shape our shared presence in the group online. These sessions will be held using Zoom. The facilitator will send out a link to the session. If you need help using zoom, check out the tutorial. The topics of these groups will stem from our Sunday worship themes and develop naturally across the groups. This is a good way for us to deepen in faith with one another. We will keep these groups as long as physical distancing is needed, so while only one date is listed, we are expecting it to be a standing “meeting time” for group participants. It is good to be with one another. Please review the available slots on signup genius and sign up!
In this time of needing to establish creative social and spiritual connections while maintaining physical distance we will be experimenting with technological methods of sustaining children and families. Many families are experiencing sudden changes in multiple aspects of their daily lives together. We hope to offer opportunities for connection, sharing, laughter and renewal of the spirit. An RE newsletter will be going out to families soon to share the first set of these opportunities. Feedback is encouraged about what types of virtual programming would be helpful and when the best times might be to schedule such programs. Our aim is to offer multiple short programs throughout the week so that families feel connected to each other and to the heartbeat of First Parish Milton. Virtual hugs to you all.
There is no in person Youth Chat or Coming of Age programming this week due to the current community efforts to stem the spread of COVID-19
We are currently organizing to create a twice a week opportunity for youth to connect via video chatting with each other and regular youth group staff and volunteers. The aim is to create a space for youth to create a joyful community with one another in a time that can feel very isolating. As a culture, we are talking about the important concept of “Social Distancing.” But in this time may we all remember that the real answer is physical distancing and social solidarity.
Youth and youth parents: please keep your eyes peeled for an email surveying you for possible days/times for our new twice a week Youth Chat format. As always, please let Laurel or Sara Elizabeth know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. We are attempting to establish these new video chat meetings as soon as possible in order to support our youth, so please make sure to let us know your youth’s availability!
The care package project has been canceled. Due to current events and dramatic changes in many educational communities, we have made the decision that it is not possible to send care packages this year.
While we may be physically apart, please remember that our community continues. Please reach out to Laurel or Sara Elizabeth if you are in need for support or care in this difficult time.
Hello, friends. Due to the virus outbreak we are cancelling our Milton Community Concert on April 4th, “Immigrant Voices”. We are hoping that we will be able to bring this concert to you during the 2020-21 season instead.
We look forward to bringing you other our concerts when it is safe to do so.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
Producer, Milton Community Concerts
Events, News and Announcements
Volunteers needed! First Parish is in need of an Audio-Visual task force to maximize our remote worship experience.
We’ll explore platforms, equipment needs and volunteer needs.
If interested contact, contact Rev. Lisa Ward at email@example.com
Believe in Success is a trauma-informed, workforce development program for survivors of domestic violence created and managed by the UU Urban Ministry. Several members of First Parish, Milton have enjoyed volunteering in the program to help students craft resumes and cover letters, practice interviewing techniques, and shop for professional attire. Another way for YOU to help is to take a look at the WISH LIST below. Please email Greta at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help with any of these items.
New or like-new yoga pants for our current Believe in Success students in the following sizes:
• 2 pairs in size small
• 2 pairs in size medium
• 4 pairs in size large
• 2 pairs in size extra large
• Air mattress
• Coffee maker
• 2 cribs for twin baby boys
• springtime jackets and raincoats — and umbrellas!
Believe in Success is also seeking a few volunteers with particular areas of expertise to participate in the informational interview day, taking place on Wednesday, April 1, from 12:45 to 1:45. Do you:
• Work in the fashion industry? (Do you have a clothing store? Design clothes? Sew?)
• Have a background as an aide in the classroom or home, working with children with disabilities?
• Have a background in nursing?
Please contact the UUUM at email@example.com to learn more. If you have more informal questions, please feel free to call or email Tracey Robinson firstname.lastname@example.org
In light of COVID-19, based on public health recommendations, we will postpone Courageous Conversations Towards Racial Justice events
until further notice.
Spring is Arriving!
as is the First Parish Auction!
At A later Date !
Saturday, June 6th
Due to an abundance of caution, First Parish is postponing its Annual Auction until June 6, 2020.
With the rescheduled date, we have more time to collect auction items ! The new deadline date is April 1st.
To those that have already collected auction items for us, THANK YOU. Please hold on to your auction items until further notice.
You will be sent a new evite to the auction later in the spring.
Thank you for understanding and we look forward to seeing you June 6th.
Solar Panel Talking Points!!
• First Parish Congregation has chosen to raise contributions to place 193 – 63KW Solar Panels on First Parish Roofs in the Summer of 2020. Funds will also be raised for the electrical infrastructure upgrade necessary for accommodation of the panels and to bring First Parish up to current electrical standards.
• The First Parish Solar Panel Program is a good way for those unable to install panels on their property to participate in efforts to lower carbon in the world’s atmosphere. Thus far 74 3/4 panels have been sold !
* The power created will be eliminating First Parish’s electric bills.
* Excess power will be sold at a discount to area nonprofits whose values align with First Parish’s mission.
• A personally significant donation is encouraged however big or small and by whatever terms the donor wishes during this three year legacy campaign.
• When possible payments are encouraged now as this will reduce the funds to be borrowed from the Parish Endowment.
• Donors may write checks and drop them in Sunday Service collection basket or the gray box outside the office but please WRITE: “SOLAR PLEDGE” IN THE CHECK MEMO, so that funds won’t be mistakenly put towards a donor’s Stewardship pledge. Donors also may pay yearly or monthly for up to 3 years.
• There will be a Solar Panel Legacy Recognition Installation (SPLR). To be recognized on the SPLR installation, we will place up to four names on one panel –meaning a $200 donation will guarantee your name placed on the SPLR installation.
• Please fill out the Solar Panel Donor form stipulating the details of your contribution and the name or names to be assigned to the Solar Panel Legacy Recognition Installation.
• Be sure to see the graphics showing the completed solar panel installation and ideas for the Solar Panel Legacy Recognition Installation in the Parish Hall at coffee hour.
June 24, 2020-June 29, 2020, Providence RI
Early Bird Registration is now Open!
Click here for more information.
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
CHURCH OFFICE HOURS
Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
MINISTER OFFICE HOURS
Tuesday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
The Church office is closed on Fridays
Sundays through mid June
- Worship, 10:30 am in the Meetinghouse
- Choir Rehearsal (most Sundays) at 8:45 am
- Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 7:00 pm in the Children’s Church (Note new time)
SIGN UP GENIUS (formerly known as the Planner)
The link to SignUp Genius is: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090d44aca728a02-sunday1
You can sign up for one our our Sunday volunteer positions.