This Week in Worship
Sunday, November 26, 2017 @ 10:30 am in the Meetinghouse
The Intersection of Presence and Gratitude
November Worship Theme – Presence
Rev. Lisa Ward
Rev. Lisa is on study leave November 20 – 27.
Laurel Whitehouse, Director of Religious Exploration
- Nursery and toddler care: There are no caretakers in the nursery this Sunday but the space will be open for your use as needed.
- Religious Exploration for Sunday, November 26: Preschool children through grade 8 will attend the full Thanksgiving worship service in the Meetinghouse this week.
- Reminder: The Spaghetti Dinner and Holiday Craft Night are coming up on Friday, December 1, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm in the Parish Hall. More information below.
- We are still seeking mentors for the youth. Please contact us if you are willing to be a mentor for one of our youth. The goal of the Coming of Age program is for youth to explore big questions, reflect on their beliefs, and solidify their confidence to make decisions based on their values. Each youth is paired with a mentor and they travel a spiritual journey together over the year, culminating in a worship service of celebration on Sunday, April 29, 2018.
- Spaghetti Dinner and Holiday Craft Night on Friday, December 1, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
- Youth-sponsored Spaghetti Dinner includes pasta, meatballs, salad and bread for $5 per person (gluten-free pasta available). Proceeds will help fund youth participation in a spring service trip to Heifer Farm in Rutland. Fun for folks of every age!
But wait, there’s more!!!
- Create fun and decorative holiday crafts! In addition to the wonderful spaghetti dinner on Friday, December 1, the whole family can join in to make a flurry of handcrafted items from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. All materials will be supplied, just add your creative imagination! Hosted by the Religious Exploration Committee.
- Calling Pageant Performers of All Ages: The 2017 First Parish Christmas pageant is right around the corner! During the 5 pm Christmas Eve service we will be offering a favorite FP script, “The Christmas Miracle,” last performed in 2012. There are parts for people of all ages, with varying rehearsal needs. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you, your child or youth, or your whole family would like to be a part of our pageant! Additionally, let us know what level of involvement would work for you – we have everything from main roles that will need several rehearsals leading up to the pageant, to simple speaking parts that only need one extra rehearsal, to crowd roles that can be learned during our Christmas Eve walkthrough.
- Guest At Your Table (GAYT) is the UUSC’s annual intergenerational program to raise support for and awareness about their work to advance human rights. UUSC works in over 25 countries, with over 75 grassroots partners, so there are thousands of individuals involved in and who benefit from their work. GAYT is an opportunity to celebrate grassroots partnership, support human rights, and learn about the work of the UUSC. Each time you sit down to eat a meal throughout the holiday season consider contributing a few coins to those less fortunately circumstanced. GAYT boxes are available in the Stebbins Parlor and outside the Parish Hall. Contributions are being collected now through January 7, 2018.
Sara Elizabeth Santa Cruz, Youth Advisor
On Sunday, November 26, youth are encouraged to attend the multigenerational Thanksgiving worship service. Save the date: our first youth spaghetti supper fundraiser will be on Friday, December 1. Youth helpers needed from 4:30 to 8:30 pm. The next Coming of Age class will be on Sunday, December 3, from 10:30 am to noon.
News and Announcements
No Meditation on Thursday, November 23
Annual Holiday Gift Project
Sign Ups begin Sunday, November 26
This is our opportunity to help the children of Milton through the Milton Residents Fund Holiday Gifts Program. Questions? please contact Beth Gray-Nix
Sign up to give 1 or more gifts. Come to social hour on November 26 to get instructions and a gift tag for a boy or girl of your choosing. All presents/gift cards should be dropped off on Sunday, December 10.
On November 26 at 5PM FCC Milton will host a Transgender Day of Remembrance Service in their sanctuary.
This is a service to remember all those around the world whose lives have been lost to anti-transgender violence. We have speakers from the trans community who will be offering remarks and we will read a list of names in a solemn vigil.
Milton Community Concerts
Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 7pm
MCC PRESENTS A MUSICAL RECORD-SETTER
On Saturday, December 2nd at 7pm Milton Community Concerts has invited back a musician of unbelievable talent in its concert “Record Setter”. Cory Pesaturo is a musician who has played numerous times at the White House, has appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman (playing a piece with Johnny Depp), has performed with Quincy Jones, Winton Marsalis and the Dropkick Murphys, has won World Championships in Acoustic, Digital, and Jazz accordion (the only person ever to do so), and recently set a Guinness World Record for continuous accordion playing (32 hours, 14 minutes). He is featured in a recent commercial for Southwest Airlines which focuses on his record-breaking marathon performance in Austria. Come hear this fabulous entertainer in the First Parish Meetinghouse. Tickets are $20 general/$10 seniors/Free for 18 and under. miltoncommunityconcerts.com.
12th Annual Christmas Tree Sale
Pre-order your grade A1 premium Fraser Fir Christmas trees today! Trees are $65 and payment with pre-order is preferred. Trees will be cut down the last week in November and will be available for pick up Saturday, December 2nd at First Parish.
Pick up a preorder form in the Parish Hall on the information tables or from the bulletin board in front of the office. Place completed form and check in the gray box outside of the office.
First come, first served.
First Parish FUN Raiser – First Planning Meeting
When: Sunday, December 3rd – in the Parlor
Time: 11:45am – 12:45pm
Please join us! You can help out a little or a lot. Every bit counts! We will be going to hold a dynamite FUN Raiser on Saturday March 24th, and hope you’ll volunteer to be on the committee!
Fire side Chat on behalf of the Holiday Blues
4:30pm – 6:30pm in the Parish Hall
Friday, December 15th, 2017
For anyone “feeling the blues” this Holiday season, let’s sit together by the fire, sharing our stories and enjoying some hot chocolate and cider.
All are invited to join CUUPS on Sunday, December 17th at 3:00pm as the wheel of the year turns to Yule.
This celebration of the Winter Solstice will include prayer and meditation, songs and music, and old-fashioned candle-dipping followed by a pot luck social hour.
Friday, December 1
Holiday Craft Night and Spaghetti Dinner
Sponsored by the RE Committee & Youth Group
Saturday, December 2
Christmas Tree Pick Up
9am – 12noon – First Parish
Saturday, December 2
Milton Community Concert – “Record Setter”
7pm – First Parish Meetinghouse
Sunday, December 3
FUN Raiser Meeting
11:45am – 12:30pm – Parlor
Sunday, December 10
Milton Holiday Gift Program
Please bring your gifts to church
Friday, December 15th
Fire side Chat on behalf of the Holiday Blues
4:30pm – 6:30pm – Parish Hall
Social Action Committee News
Check out the Social Action Calendar at the information tables in the Stebbins Parlor and Parish Hall Foyer.
Sign up during social hour to volunteer with Social Action on upcoming Saturdays:
- December 9, 2017
- January 13, 2018
- February 10, 2018
- March 10, 2018
Fair Foods Inc. rescues surplus fruits and vegetables from Boston industry source and distribute the food to those in need. (www.fairfoods.org)
Wednesday, Nov. 22 – 10 am – 12 noon.
The office will be closed November 23 – 26 for the Thanksgiving holiday and reopens, Monday, November 27.
Nursery is closed on Sunday, November 26, 2017. You are welcome to bring you child to the worship service.
I will be out of the office until November 27.
Rev. Lisa is on Study Leave November 20 – 27.
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
REMINDER THE LINK DEADLINE IS TUEDAYS
“Brevity Matters” – Peter Bowden, Social Media Guru and wise UU
Deadline for submissions is Tuesdays. You need to address email to both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to assure your announcement will be included in the weekly Link. Written announcements for the Sunday Order of Worship are derived from the announcements for The Link. We, from time to time, will also publish non-church events with a connection to a member of the church. Your submission may be edited due to space requirements. We recommend that you submit no more than 1 – 2 paragraphs.
CHURCH OFFICE HOURS
Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
MINISTER OFFICE HOURS
Tuesday – Thurday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
The Church office is closed on Fridays
June 25 – September 3
Worship, 9:30 am in the Children’s Church
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 8:30 am in the Children’s Church
No Religious Exploration Program , Nursery Care, Choir Rehearsal
Beginning Sunday, September 10
Worship, 10:30am in the Meetinghouse
Choir Rehearsal (most Sundays) at 8:45 am
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 6:30pm in the Children’s Church
SIGN UP GENIUS (formerly known as the Planner)
The link to SignUp Genius is: