Religious Educator (Temporary)
First Parish in Milton, UU, 535 Canton Ave., Milton, MA | www.fpmilton.org
The Religious Educator supports the religious exploration (RE) program for children in grades preK through grade 8. This temporary position plans and administers a comprehensive religious education program, including coordination and recruitment of volunteer teachers. This person is also a resource in using UU religious education curricula and programs. This position plays an important role in providing religious exploration opportunities to our children, facilitating the congregation’s efforts to engage church families, and integrating new families and members.
This is a temporary, part time position beginning January 3, 2016 and ending June 30, 2016. To apply send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Experience working with children and/or education in child and adolescent development.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as solid interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in close communication with lay leaders, supervisor and the
staff team and adhere to our Code of Professional Practice.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel products
Supervision: The Religious Educator reports directly to the Interim Minister for collaboration and priorities for Religious Exploration.
Hours: 20 hours a week Sundays required.
Compensation: $20.00 per hour
- Sunday Oversight of Religious Exploration Programming for grades preK through Grade 8 o Programming includes graded classrooms, children’s church, multi-grade classes (one room school), and special RE Sunday programming.
- Prepare weekly lesson plans for Children’s Small Group Ministry and lessons/activities for
one room school Sundays.
- Assist in oversight of major programs including Our Whole Lives (OWL) and Passages by
offering support to leaders with supplies, scheduling and coordination as needed.
- Prepare classrooms and classroom materials and Children’s Church, including printing
orders of worship, preparing materials for facilitators, and soliciting appropriate volunteer
- Check in regularly with classes and teachers, and be available to help with classroom
- Acquire and provide materials, books, supplies and reference information related to the
- Attendance tracking and database updates and additional administrative support tasks as
- Oversee ongoing enrollment of new families into programs and update class lists and
- Prepare weekly RE information for weekly email blast
- Provide report for the church’s annual meeting
- Assist with RE calendar and teacher recruitment for Fall 2016
- Serve as ex-officio member of Religious Exploration Committee.