Director of Religious Education (Part Time)
First Parish in Milton
535 Canton Avenue
We are the First Parish Unitarian Universalist in Milton, and we are seeking someone with passion and vision to join us and help steer our strong religious education program into a bright new future. With our newly settled minister, the Reverend Lisa Ward, “we welcome all to grow deep faith and take bold action!” We are excited about our future and invite you to get to know us through our website and our congregational packet. If you are looking for a new opportunity to teach, nurture, and inspire children, youth, and families in a lively Unitarian Universalist community, we would love to meet you and explore the possibilities of working together.
The FPM congregation is currently 180 members strong with 75 children and youth. We are looking for a part-time DRE—20 hours per week (6 UUA units). Hours will include Sunday mornings and may include some evening meetings. The DRE will work with and be directed by the minister and work closely with a dedicated team of volunteers, the director of congregational life and administration, and our children’s music leader.
With the support of the Religious Education Committee, the DRE will:
- provide leadership for goal setting and development of philosophy of religious growth and learning.
- advocate for and publicize the religious education program.
- develop and coordinate curriculum.
- communicate with the greater church body (volunteers, staff, congregants, parents, etc.).
- plan special and intergenerational events with the parish minister.
- recruit, orient, and support volunteers.
- supervise and support the youth advisor.
- oversee the running of the nursery, including hiring a nursery supervisor.
- attend committee and staff meetings as appropriate.
- keep religious education budget, expenses, files, and records current, with support of office staff.
- maintain resources, supplies, and equipment.
Ideal candidates for the position will demonstrate:
- leadership experience in a field related to youth-based education.
- knowledge of religious education philosophy and familiarity with Unitarian Universalist curricula (OWL training a plus).
- comfort with a wide variety of world religions and religious views.
- strong communication and volunteer management skills.
- Salary: $26,000, depending on skills and experience.
- Benefits: Medical insurance, retirement, vacation and sick time available.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.