This Week in Worship
Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 10:30 am in the Meetinghouse
November Worship Theme – Presence
Rev. Lisa Ward
This Sunday is the town-wide “Thanks For Giving” Volunteer of the Year celebration. This is an initiative of the Milton Interfaith Clergy Association, inviting houses of worship, civic organizations and town leadership to lift up a volunteer to thank for important work in the community. It will be held at 4 pm at St. Elizabeth’s Parish, 350 Reedsdale Road.
This year, the Parish Committee has nominated Linda and David Goodrich, our Social Action Committee chairs. This is the bio we sent that some of you may have already seen in the Milton Times:
“Linda and David Goodrich are co-chairs of First Parish Milton’s Social
Action Committee. Under their leadership, initiatives engaging in issues of
poverty, racism, environmental sustainability and immigration are underway.
They not only help serve the larger community, they help to educate the
congregation through their steady advocacy.”
Thank you Linda and David!
Rev. Lisa is on study leave November 20 – 27.
Our third Sunday collection for November 19th will be devoted to the Black Lives of Unitarian Universalism initiative of the UUA. A special message from Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray can be found here:
This is the beginning of an exciting initiative that was seeded in last year’s General Assembly. We will have the collection and then our annual corn bread communion.
A blessed day indeed.
Laurel Whitehouse, Director of Religious Exploration
- Nursery and toddler care is available this week in the Link hallway from 10:15 to 11:45 am. This year our caregivers are Daisy and Grace. Stop by and say hello! Note: the nursery will be closed on Sunday, November 26th.
- Religious Exploration for Sunday, November 19: Preschool children through grade 8 will attend the first part of the worship service in the Meetinghouse and then move to their classrooms. Please note that classes end at 11:40 am.
- Preschool through grade 2 will be enjoying the Spirit Play program in the Preschool classroom. This week’s story will be “The Rooster Who Learned to Crow.” Grades 3 through 5 will be exploring the Super Heroes: Bible People curricula, meeting in the Children’s Church. This week explores the saga of King Saul, David and Goliath. Grades 6 through 8 will be continuing a curriculum called Friends and Neighbors, meeting in the Activity room. This week the class will conclude its exploration of Hinduism and begin planning for a social justice project.
- See the Youth Yacking column for news on grades 9 through 12 this week.
- Register your child or youth! The Religious Education Committee requests all families to register their children and youth. Paper registration forms are available on the RE bulletin board in the Link hallway.
- The Coming of Age Program is underway. The Opening Orientation/Worship Service for youth and parents will be held on Sunday, November 19, from 6 to 7 pm in the Children’s Church. We are still seeking mentors for the youth. Please contact us if you are willing to be a mentor for one of our youth. The goal of the Coming of Age program is for youth to explore big questions, reflect on their beliefs, and solidify their confidence to make decisions based on their values. Each youth is paired with a mentor and they travel a spiritual journey together over the year, culminating in a worship service of celebration on Sunday, April 29, 2018.
Sara Elizabeth Santa Cruz, Youth Advisor
This Sunday there will be no youth programming.
High school age youth are encouraged to attend worship service.
News and Announcements
Social Action Committee and Green Team meet tonight.
When: Thursday, November 16 @ 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Where: First Parish Milton in the Library
No Meditation on Thursday, November 23
Annual Holiday Gift Project
Sign Ups begin Sunday, November 26
This is our opportunity to help the children of Milton through the Milton Residents Fund Holiday Gifts Program. Questions? please contact Beth Gray-Nix
Sign up to give 1 or more gifts. Come to social hour on November 26 to get instructions and a gift tag for a boy or girl of your choosing. All presents/gift cards should be dropped off on Sunday, December 10.
Milton Community Concerts
When: Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 7pm
MCC PRESENTS A MUSICAL RECORD-SETTER
On Saturday, December 2nd at 7pm Milton Community Concerts has invited back a musician of unbelievable talent in its concert “Record Setter”. Cory Pesaturo is a musician who has played numerous times at the White House, has appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman (playing a piece with Johnny Depp), has performed with Quincy Jones, Winton Marsalis and the Dropkick Murphys, has won World Championships in Acoustic, Digital, and Jazz accordion (the only person ever to do so), and recently set a Guinness World Record for continuous accordion playing (32 hours, 14 minutes). He is featured in a recent commercial for Southwest Airlines which focuses on his record-breaking marathon performance in Austria. Come hear this fabulous entertainer in the First Parish Meetinghouse. Tickets are $20 general/$10 seniors/Free for 18 and under. miltoncommunityconcerts.com.
12th Annual Christmas Tree Sale
Pre-order your grade A1 premium Fraser Fir Christmas trees today! Trees are $65 and payment with pre-order is preferred. Trees will be cut down the last week in November and will be available for pick up Saturday, December 2nd at First Parish.
Pick up a preorder form in the Parish Hall on the information tables or from the bulletin board in front of the office. Place completed form and check in the gray box outside of the office.
First come, first served.
Thursday, November 16
The Green Team and Social Action Committee Meeting
7:30pm – First Parish Library
Sunday, November 19
Thanks for Giving Interfaith Service
St. Elizabeth’s Church, Milton
Sunday, November 19
Opening Orientation/Worship Service
for Coming of Age Youth & Parents
6 to 7 pm
Friday, December 1
Holiday Craft Night and Spaghetti Dinner
Sponsored by the RE Committee & Youth Group
Saturday, December 2
Christmas Tree Pick Up
9am – 12noon – First Parish
Saturday, December 2
Milton Community Concert – “Record Setter”
7pm – First Parish Meetinghouse
Sunday, December 9
Milton Holiday Gift Program
Please bring your gifts to church
Social Action Committee News
Check out the Social Action Calendar at the information tables in the Stebbins Parlor and Parish Hall Foyer.
The Next Social Action Committee meeting is tonight combined with the Green Team – Thursday, November 16
7:30 PM to 9:00PM in the Library.
Sign up during social hour to volunteer with Social Action on upcoming Saturdays:
- December 9, 2017
- January 13, 2018
- February 10, 2018
- March 10, 2018
Fair Foods Inc. rescues surplus fruits and vegetables from Boston industry source and distribute the food to those in need. (www.fairfoods.org)
The Green Team
Tonight at First Parish in the Library, The Green Team and Social Action Committee will meet in the Library at 7:30pm.
There are still slots open on the team.
Email Jennie for questions.
Together we can make a difference.
Next week is Thanksgiving week. Deadline for the November 23 edition of The Link is today. We have an abbreviated work week. Details below:
- Monday, Nov. 20 & Tuesday, Nov. 21 – 10 am – 2 pm
- Wednesday, Nov. 22 – 10 am – 12 noon.
The office will be closed November 23 – 26 for the Thanksgiving holiday and reopens, Monday, November 27.
Nursery is closed on Sunday, November 26, 2017. You are welcome to bring you child to the worship service.
I will be at church on November 19 and then will be out of the office until November 27. Rev. Lisa is on Study Leave November 20 – 27.
Follow First Parish on Facebook and get updates, poems, announcements and more. You’ll be glad you did!
REMINDER THE LINK DEADLINE IS TUEDAYS
“Brevity Matters” – Peter Bowden, Social Media Guru and wise UU
Deadline for submissions is Tuesdays. You need to address email to both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to assure your announcement will be included in the weekly Link. Written announcements for the Sunday Order of Worship are derived from the announcements for The Link. We, from time to time, will also publish non-church events with a connection to a member of the church. Your submission may be edited due to space requirements. We recommend that you submit no more than 1 – 2 paragraphs.
CHURCH OFFICE HOURS
Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
MINISTER OFFICE HOURS
Tuesday – Thurday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Other times by appointment
The Church office is closed on Fridays
June 25 – September 3
Worship, 9:30 am in the Children’s Church
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 8:30 am in the Children’s Church
No Religious Exploration Program , Nursery Care, Choir Rehearsal
Beginning Sunday, September 10
Worship, 10:30am in the Meetinghouse
Choir Rehearsal (most Sundays) at 8:45 am
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 9:00am in the Children’s Church
Silent Prayer & Meditation, 6:30pm in the Children’s Church
SIGN UP GENIUS (formerly known as the Planner)
The link to SignUp Genius is: